There’s a lot of excitement and anticipation leading into Independence Day weekend, right? But think about your pets, what we find fun about the holiday weekend, they may find scary and stressful. At Brook Farm Veterinary Center we consider ourselves experts in Fear Free Veterinary Care.
We recommend that you use an anxiety vest, also known as a thunder shirt or jacket if your pet is fearful of loud noises such as fireworks or thunderstorms. The need for medication may arise if your pet is not comfortable using the above methods. It’s best to discuss these different options with your veterinarian if your pet experiences high anxiety.
An alternative option to try and ease your pet’s anxiety is to put them in a safe place like a bedroom or closed off room with a sound machine or the TV on where these can act as distractions from what’s actually happening outside (fireworks, celebrations, partying, etc.)
If your pet is used to staying in a crate you can always cover the crate with a blanket to create a safe and dark environment that may help them feel more safe and comfortable. If you’re able to accompany this method with the distractions above, this can also help drown out the noises happening outside.
Pets who are afraid might become panicked and run away so it’s best to have a plan in place for your pet before the festivities begin.
Here’s are some important things to make note of as we enter Independence Day weekend:
- Make sure your pet is wearing an up-to-date ID tag on their collar that includes your name and current phone number.
- Make sure your pet’s microchip is up to date with your most recent address and contact information.
- Move your pet to a room with no visibility to outside. Let your pet hide if that gives them comfort.
- If you don’t have an anxiety vest, try a snuggly fitting t-shirt. The compression is what helps keep our pets feel safe.
- Make sure all doors and gates on your property are closed and your guests are aware your pet is resting and should not be disturbed.
- Keep alcoholic beverages away from your furry friends, if ingested your pet could become very ill.