Teething can be a tricky time for both you and your pet. Here's how to keep puppies properly occupied so they stay out of your shoe closet.
1. Offer frozen mini bagels, plain or fruit variety, not onion. Allowing them to chew, and eventually consume, the bagels helps to numb the gingiva, easing discomfort. The denseness of the frozen bagel may actually help to remove your pet’s loose baby teeth too.
2. Cold carrots, while offering vitamins and minerals, may help relieve discomfort. Just don’t offer more than one whole carrot a day, because of its high fiber content.
3. Frozen fruit, such as strawberries or bits of banana. The “cold pack” may help relieve oral discomfort and the fruit is edible, although it might get a little messy.
4. Wet a dishrag or towel, twist it into a rope-like shape and freeze. The cold helps relieve oral discomfort, and the chewiness of the towel helps encourage proper biting behavior.
5. Offer puppy-specific toys, such as a Chilly Bone or Kong. These can also be frozen.
Keep in mind that it is never recommended to give over-the-counter pain medications to your pets. Even holistic remedies, such as clove oil, are not recommended for puppies. Another thing to avoid when your puppy is teething is ice. Don’t give ice cubes to puppies. Puppy teeth are fragile and more likely to break.